How To Relocate To Canada As A Skilled Worker: The Federal Skilled Worker (FSW) program is tailor-made for individuals chosen for Canadian immigration based on their work experience and skills.
It’s important to mention that, starting from January 1st, 2015, candidates interested in the FSW program must apply through the Express Entry System.
How to Determine My Eligibility for the Federal Skilled Worker Program.
To be eligible to apply for the federal skilled worker program, you must satisfy one of the following criteria:
- Get a valid job offer
- Be eligible to work in Canada
- Be able to demonstrate that you have sufficient funds to support yourself upon arrival in Canada
- Have at least one year of full-time skilled work experience
- Have a post-secondary certificate, degree, or diploma
- Meet the minimum language requirements in either English or French
- Intend to live outside of Quebec
One you meet these criteria, you are fully eligible to apply for the Federal Skilled Worker Program.
Read also: Best Colleges to Study in Canada For International Students
What Kind Work Experience Do I Need?
To be eligible for the program, it is required that you have work experience in either Skill Type 0, Skill Level A, or Skill Level B according to the Canadian National Occupational Classification (NOC).
Furthermore, your work experience should have been paid and full-time, with at least 30 hours per week or the equivalent hours in part-time work. The work experience must also be acquired within the last 10 years.
However, if you have a permanent job offer, the aforementioned requirements do not apply to you.
Understanding the Federal Skilled Worker Program Point System.
To be eligible for the FSW program, you need to score at least 67 points in the FSW Point System, which is based on various factors such as;
- your language proficiency in English and French,
- educational background,
- work experience,
- and adaptability.
- Additionally, having a job offer in Canada can also give you points.
To know if you meet the point requirement, you can visit the Six Selection Factors page and check the breakdown of points based on each factor.
It is important to note that the FSW point system is distinct from the Express Entry point system.
How To Apply As a Federal Skilled Worker in Canada.
If you meet the eligibility requirements for the Federal Skilled Worker (FSW) category, you will need to create a profile and submit it through the Express Entry system. Express Entry is a web-based platform designed for economic immigration programs such as the FSW.
- Federal Skilled Workers: Get detailed information from Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).
- Come to Canada: This is a tool that you can use to determine what your options are if you want to move to Canada.
- IRCC Help Centre: This is a tool that will answer your immigration-related frequently asked questions.
- Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC): This is the federal department in charge of Canadian immigration and citizenship.